Home Contents Insurance

Why do I need it?

We do not cover your home contents as part of the tenancy agreement. It’s a good idea to consider what a home contents insurance policy would cover you for in order to help you make an informed decision on whether you need one.

Contents insurance is designed to help protect your possessions. No matter how careful you are, there’s always a risk that your belongings could be broken, damaged or stolen so home contents insurance can help provide peace of mind should the worst happen.

Pay As You Go Home Contents Insurance Scheme

We have teamed up with Thistle Tenant Risks who provide specialist Tenants Contents Insurance policies. The scheme is a specialist insurance scheme provided by Thistle Tenant Risks and all tenants living in social and affordable housing are eligible to apply.

The scheme can offer you insurance for the contents of your home including cover for items such as furniture, carpets, curtains, clothes, bedding, electrical items, jewellery, pictures and ornaments.

Reasons to choose Pay As You Go Home Contents Insurance
  • Covers theft, water damage, fire and many more household risks
  • Covers tenants improvements (up to £2000 or 20% of the sum insured, whichever is the greatest)
  • Covers theft or attempted theft of contents in sheds, outbuildings and garages (up to £3,000)
  • Covers damage to external glazing for which you are responsible
  • Covers replacement and installation of locks for outside doors or windows and alarms, if keys are lost or stolen, up to £500
  • You don’t need to have special door or window locks (just a lockable front door)

Take a look at the 10 benefits of the scheme here. (pdf 520 kB)For more information, please view this document on ‘what are recharges and can having home contents insurance help?’ Recharges (docx 66 kB).

Who is this policy for?

Thistle Tenant Risks Contents Insurance has been designed to meet the demands and needs of social housing residents looking to purchase home contents insurance and Thistle have approached a single insurer Great Lakes Insurance Limited. The cover is subject to the terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions contained in the Policy Wording (pdf 301 kB), which you should read carefully.

If you are unsure whether this insurance policy is right for you please contact us.

How would I make an insurance claim?

With regard to claims, and policyholders that wish to register a loss, if the loss occurred on or after 1st April 2024, customers should contact MPL Claims Management Ltd, customers who are able to, they can register a claim by the following link https://thistle-wr-policyholderportal.co.uk/ alternatively customers can contact MPL on 0345 060 0030

How do I get further information?

If you’d like to apply for home contents insurance, you can do so by completing an application form (pdf 441 kB) or for an application pack call us on 0121 717 1515. Before to completing the application form, please review the Important Customer Information Document (pdf 123 kB) and Insurance Product Information Document (pdf 47 kB). These documents give you important information on your rights and how we deal with you and your insurance and key information regarding the insurance cover.

Please note that the insurance policy we provide is arranged on a non-advised basis. This means that you will be provided with the key information to be able to make an informed decision on which cover is appropriate for your needs.

Complaints Process

We always aim to get things right first time and are committed to ensuring that we achieve the highest level of service for our customers. If you feel this hasn’t happened, we would like to hear about it so that we have an opportunity to put things right for you and to improve our service in the future.

If you have a complaint about the sale or service of your insurance policy, call us on 0121 717 1515 or write to:

Solihull Community Housing
Endeavour House
Meriden Drive
B37 6BX

Alternatively, a copy of Thistles complaints procedure is available on request. For additional information, view the Thistle’s complaints procedure (pdf 100 kB).

Thistle Tenant Risks is a trading style of Thistle Insurance Services Limited. Thistle Insurance Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority FRN 310419. Registered in England under No. 00338645. Registered office: Rossington’s Business Park, West Carr Road, Retford, Nottinghamshire, DN22 7SW. Thistle Insurance Services Ltd is part of the PIB Group.

Visit the Thistle Insurance Privacy Policy page for information about Data Protection.