Always treat asbestos with respect and make sure you avoid damaging asbestos material in your home.
- Contact us if you want to carry out any DIY work to your property that might affect materials which contain asbestos. If you are not sure, we can arrange for a member of staff to advise you
- Only a trained specialist contractor can remove the material (and for some products they also need to be licensed). If material containing asbestos is damaged, it may need to be removed or sealed. We will arrange any work to do this
- Don’t panic. Material containing asbestos is only a problem if it gets disturbed
- Don’t drill, sand, cut or in any way disturb an area which is known to (or may) contain asbestos. Remember, if you don’t breathe in asbestos dust, it can’t harm you
- Don’t use power tools on materials containing asbestos
- Don’t remove or disturb the material
- Don’t break the materials because this releases the small fibres into the atmosphere
- Don’t use a domestic vacuum cleaner to clean up asbestos – they spread the fibres rather than contain them
- Don’t move material containing asbestos
If you would like more information on living with asbestos, call us on 0121 717 1515.