Often those making noise have no idea they are causing a problem and will be happy to work with you to reduce the noise.

No property is totally soundproof, and some types of noise will be expected.

For noise nuisance to be investigated it must be persistent, excessive, and extreme.


Neighbours arguing or shouting

We would not usually consider this antisocial behaviour (ASB).

Your neighbour might not have realised you can hear them. Try speaking first to them to let them know the noise is causing a problem. Many times, they unaware and will be happy to do what they can to reduce the noise.

If you are concerned about the safety of someone in the household, please contact the Police immediately.


Loud noise or music

We would only consider loud noise or music to be ASB if it is persistent.

If you feel comfortable, have a friendly chat with your neighbour to let them know the music is causing a problem. Most often they will be happy to do what they can to reduce the noise.


General living sounds

We would not consider general living sounds such as footsteps, toilets flushing, babies crying or children playing as ASB.

If these sounds are disturbing you, try letting your neighbour know. They may not realise you can hear them.



We would not usually consider DIY carried out at reasonable times during the day to be ASB.

Many people have tasks to complete around their home, especially if they have recently moved in or are decorating.

We would suggest that you are always considerate and mindful when carrying out DIY around the home. Please let your neighbours know if it may go on for a long period of time.


What should I do?

If you are experiencing noise nuisance from your neighbours, try talking to them and explain how it is affecting you. This should be your first step in to resolve the problem.

If it’s suitable, invite them into your home so they can hear the noise for themselves.

Your neighbour maybe unaware that they are causing a problem and will be happy to do what they can to reduce the noise.

This approach is often more effective, simpler and successful than when we get involved.

If this doesn’t work or you do not feel comfortable talking to a neighbour, you can contact us.

We can organise mediation sessions to help you both find a solution. This service is free, and we will usually visit you and your neighbour separately. We will listen to you both and help you decide what to do next.

If the noise continues, we may take legal action if we have enough evidence to support the case.

We will give you diary sheets (pdf 895 kB) to fill in. It is essential that the recordings and the details on the diary sheets are accurate, complete, relevant and returned to us quickly.

We will assess the information and decide if the issue is considered a ‘statutory nuisance’. If it does not meet the criteria, we will contact you.


Taking your own action

You still have the right to take your own action by applying to the Magistrates Court directly using section 82 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990. You are encouraged to get professional advice from your own solicitor before carrying on with this process. You will need your evidence to show that you have a case to argue.

For more information, please read our noise nuisance leaflet (pdf 4.1 mB).