From April 2013, the overall amount of benefit you can receive will be capped.
The government will add up how much money you get from a range of benefits, including housing benefit, jobseeker’s allowance, income support, employment support allowance, child benefit, child tax credit and carer’s allowance.
If the total comes to more than the maximum amount allowed, your housing benefit payments will be reduced.
The maximum amount of benefit you will be able to receive from April 2013 will be:
- £500 per week for couples with or without children
- £500 per week for single parents
- £350 per week for single people without children.
The caps are not affected by how many children you have. The cap remains the same whether you have one child or five children.
This will not apply to you if:
- you get pension credit or working tax credit
- a member of your household is claiming disability living allowance, attendance allowance or the support element of employment.
The government has opened a help line which you can call on 0845 605 7064.