Solihull Community Housing Wellbeing offers a free home visit to check for hazards to make sure your home is safe.
Each year many people fall at home. Falls are often due to hazards that are not easy to see – things like:
- Not enough space to walk around furniture
- Rugs, wires, boxes or other objects on
- Poor or insufficient lightning
- Loose or torn carpets on stairs
- No stair rail
- Things not easy to reach in kitchens
- Slippery floor in bathroom
- Uneven garden paths
SCH Wellbeing offers a free home visit to check for hazards to make sure your home is safe. For example, as the bathroom is a common place where falls occur. Many people can benefit from having rails fitted to the inside of their bath to make it easier for them to get in and out.
A trained Wellbeing Officer will visit you or your home to identify potential hazards and offer free advice for how to deal with them.
After the free assessment you will receive recommendations on how to improve safety in your home. We can arrange for adaptive equipment to be installed which will enable you to be safe and well at home.
Examples of the improvements we can offer include:
- Fitting a personal alarm system, so that you or your relative can signal for help in the event of a fall
- Fitting grab rails
- Small Handyperson jobs such as refitting loose carpets or easing sticking door
In order to receive this free service you must:
- Be a Solihull resident
- Have a risk of falls and/or have a previous history of falls
- Be over 18 years old