February 1, 2021
February is the month we celebrate LGBT+ History.
It is a month-long, annual celebration and remembrance of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender history.
This year’s theme is ‘Body, Mind, Spirit’, each year ‘Five Faces’ are chosen to represent the theme of LGBT+ History Month.
The 5 selected LGBT icons for this year are:
- Maya Angelou – renowned poet and internationally recognised civil rights activist,
- Mark Ashton – a community activist and founded Lesbians and Gays Support the Miners in 1984.
- Michael Dillon – a British physician and the first Western European to be ordained a Buddhist monk.
- Lily Parr – an English professional women’s association football player and is the only woman to be an inductee in the English Football Hall of Fame at the National Football Museum.
- Mark Weston – one of the best field athletes in the 1920s.
We will be posting more information about these icons over on our social media pages throughout February.
There are also a huge variety of other virtual events happening throughout February to celebrate LGBT+ History Month, you can find them here.