March 21, 2022

Solihull Community Housing is appalled and saddened by those people who have had to flee their homes in Ukraine. Like all local authorities and housing providers, we are keen to help and support those people who may seek temporary accommodation in the UK.

The Government has now unveiled details of their ‘Homes for Ukraine’ scheme to help people do this. While still very early days, anyone who has a spare room, or separate self-contained accommodation that is unoccupied, can offer to help.

The application process is online and you can find out more about what this involves at Homes for Ukraine: register your interest – GOV.UK (

The Government has created a list of Frequently Asked Questions which may answer any queries you have around the scheme. You can visit this at Homes for Ukraine scheme: frequently asked questions – GOV.UK (

If you are an SCH tenant who is considering this, then there are a few things you must first consider.

  • You cannot simply offer someone the chance to sleep on a couch or settee if your bedrooms are already in full use by members of your own family. You are not allowed to move family members into other bedrooms to ‘free-up space’ for a refugee.
  • You can only take part in this scheme if you have a spare room (s) – possibly because your children have now grown up and left home. You need to be able to take the refugees into your home for a minimum of six months
  • If you take a refugee, you will receive £350 per month in arrears from the Government (for a minimum of six months and up to a maximum of a year). If you receive Universal Credit, the £350 will not impact on that in any way.

You will also need to inform SCH if you take a refugee as we need to know who is living in our properties. Your Tenancy Agreement states that SCH must be informed of any changes to those people living in your home. So you will need to notify us and can do so easily at Homes for Ukraine scheme – Solihull Community Housing

SCH may then visit your home to make sure that it meets the criteria of the scheme.

If you have at least one spare bedroom in your home, and wish to go ahead and apply to take a refugee from Ukraine, you must first complete the online form at  Homes for Ukraine: register your interest – GOV.UK (